California Flexes to Conserve
During extremely hot weather that strains power supplies, the California Independent System Operator (ISO) issues statewide Flex Alerts, or calls for voluntary electricity conservation.
Shifting energy use to morning and nighttime hours and conserving as much energy as possible during the late afternoon and evening hours can help lower demand and avoid further actions including outages, and lessen the duration of an outage.
The ISO urges consumers to:
- Set air conditioning thermostats to 78 degrees, if health permits.
- Defer use of major appliances.
- Turn off unnecessary lights.
- Unplug unused electrical devices.
- Close blinds and drapes.
- Use fans when possible.
- Limit time the refrigerator door is open.
Consumers can also take steps to prepare for Flex Alerts by doing the following before 3 p.m.:
- “Pre-cool” their homes, or lower air conditioning thermostats to 72 degrees.
- Charge electric vehicles.
- Charge mobile devices and laptops.
- Run dishwashers, washing machines and other major appliances.
For information on Flex Alerts, more electricity conservation tips and to sign up for alerts, visit the ISO’s Flex Alert website at flexalert.org.
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.