Prevent Mail Theft With These Simple Tips
Postal inspectors in Laguna Woods and across the country work hard to protect your mail. But with deliveries to more than 100 million addresses, the Postal Inspection Service can’t do the job alone. Here’s how you can help keep your mail safe from potential theft:
- Enroll online in the United States Postal Service’s free Informed Delivery program, which lets patrons preview grayscale images of incoming mail, track packages, leave delivery instructions, reschedule delivery and more.
- Use the letter slots at your post office to mail letters, or hand them to a letter carrier.
- Deposit mail in USPS blue collection boxes before the last pickup time that appears on the schedule posted on each box.
- Remove mail from your mailbox promptly after delivery, especially if you’re expecting checks, credit cards or other sensitive items. If you won’t be home when the items are expected, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up your mail. Don’t leave it in your mailbox overnight.
- Don’t send cash in the mail.
- Ask your bank for “secure” checks that can’t be altered.
- Request the post office hold your mail if you plan to be away from home for more than three days. You can initiate a mail hold at the post office or online at USPS.com.
- Call the Sherriff’s Department immediately at 949-770-6011 if you see a mail thief at work; then call postal inspectors at 877-876-2455 (press 3).
If you believe your mail was stolen, report it immediately to Laguna Woods Village Security at 949-580-1400. Personnel also will direct you to file a report with the Sherriff’s Department and postmaster/postal inspector. Postal inspectors may determine whether your incident is isolated or part of a larger mail-theft problem. Your report may help them locate and apprehend the thieves.
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.