Broadband Services FAQ
Broadband Services offers cable, internet and more to Village residents, as well as equipment, troubleshooting tips and other helpful information.
To download/print the information below, click the orange download button below.
Is an appointment necessary to receive basic cable channels?
No. Most manors in Laguna Woods Village are basic cable ready. As long as you have a working cable outlet, you can connect your coaxial cable directly to any digital TV, run a channel scan and receive more than 100 channels included in your HOA dues. No activation or cable box is required.
Visit lagunawoodsvillage.com/amenities/media-services/cable#channel-guides to view all of the available channels and Broadband Services offers.
How can I troubleshoot my remote control?
A common sign that remote control batteries need to be changed is when the remote control has trouble switching to three-digit channels. Here’s what you can do:
- Replace the batteries, ensuring they are installed properly.
- Make sure your television or set-top box is turned on.
- Change channels by pressing the buttons on your television.
- Remove objects (e.g., furniture, books, plants, etc.) from around your television or set-top box.
- Position your receiver at a different angle to help it detect your remote.
- Make sure you’re using the remote designated for the correct television if you have more than one.
- Reboot your television or set-top box by unplugging it and plugging it back in (allow at least 60 seconds before plugging it back in).
Still having issues? Broadband Services will replace your remote if it’s not working properly. Bring your old remote to the Laguna Woods Community Center at 24351 El Toro Road for a replacement.
How can I troubleshoot my picture?
If you’re experiencing poor image quality or have no picture while using Broadband Services, follow the steps below:
- Confirm your television and set-top box have power and are turned on.
- Verify that the television is on the correct input (Video 1, HDMI, etc.) by pressing Input, Source or TV/Video on your remote control.
- If you think your television is turning off on its own, check the television’s power settings. This feature automatically powers off your receiver after four hours of idle time.
- Check the connections for loose or damaged cables or fittings.
- Unplug and re-plug your HDMI or component cables.
- Press the channel up/down button to determine if the issue is channel specific.
- Try to reboot your television or set-top box by unplugging the power cord and waiting at least 60 seconds before plugging it back in.
- Confirm there are no outages in your area by calling Broadband Services Support at 949-837-2670.
How can I return Broadband Services equipment?
All equipment issued by Broadband Services remains the property of the Golden Rain Foundation of Laguna Woods. If you’re moving out of the community or planning on downgrading services, visit us at the Laguna Woods Community Center at 24351 El Toro Road to return your equipment, or call Broadband Services at 949-837-2670 and one of our technicians will pick up your equipment.
You are responsible for returning set-top boxes, DTAs and any auxiliary equipment provided by Broadband Services. If you fail to return all rented or leased equipment to Broadband Services after you cancel or downgrade services, an unreturned equipment fee may be charged to your account. This fee will be included in your total account balance.
Why is my clock not displaying on my set-top box?
- If you have a silver Polaris remote, on the left side beneath the TV button, press the MENU button twice.
- Listing by time should be highlighted. Using the down arrow on the remote, go down through the menu to the second page until you see SETUP. Press OK.
- On the right side, second entry down, you will see an option for cable box setup. Press OK once it is highlighted.
- The first option will be Front LED display: current channel. Press the right arrow on the remote, and it will change to the current time.
- Press exit.
What is the CALM Act (loud commercials)?
While watching television, you may notice an increase in volume between programs and commercial advertisements. At times, commercials or advertisements inserted into standard programming spots may feature a volume level greater than that of the programming. Now, thanks to the Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation (CALM) Act, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) rules require commercials to have the same average volume as the programs they accompany.
What is Broadband Services doing about loud commercials?
While we can’t alter the volume of national commercials or cable network advertisements, we proactively monitor the programmers and take steps to ensure CALM act requirements are met. If you experience loud commercials on a regular basis, call 949-268-2041 to make a report. Note the commercials and the channel on which they appeared.
What can I do to alleviate loud commercials?
Many new HDTVs can eliminate volume variances between programs and commercials through the television’s audio settings. Some home theater systems also offer audio control options to help control volume differences. Refer to your TV and audio equipment manuals to learn how to update the audio settings.
How do I sign up for high-speed internet service?
West Coast Internet provides high-speed internet services to the Laguna Woods Village community. Visit lagunawoodsvillage.com/amenities/media-services/internet to learn more.
- For new service call 949-487-3302
- For billing service call 949-487-3303
- For tech support call 949-487-3307
Broadband Services is here for you!
Call Broadband Services at 949-837-2670 for all of your broadband needs or stop by the Laguna Woods Community Center at 24351 El Toro Road, and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you.
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.