TV6 Weekly Featured Movies
Be sure to tune in to Village Television (TV6) for special movie feature presentations. Movies screen at 2 and 6 p.m. All 2 p.m. showings feature subtitles; 6 p.m. showings do not. Find all movie listings here. To learn more about TV6, click here.
- Friday, August 5 - “A Raisin in the Sun”: This lauded 1961 drama follows the Youngers, an African-American family living together in an apartment in Chicago. Following the death of their patriarch, they try to determine what to do with the substantial insurance payment they’ll soon receive. Opinions on what to do with the money vary. Walter Lee (Sidney Poitier) wants to make a business investment, while his mother, Lena (Claudia McNeil), is intent on buying a house for them all to live in—two differing views of the American Dream.
- Saturday, August 6 - “The Mayberry Effect”: This 2020 documentary film explores the long-time popularity of “The Andy Griffith Show” and its influence on pop culture. Its fictional small town of Mayberry, North Carolina, was loosely modeled after actor Andy Griffith’s real-life hometown of Mount Airy, North Carolina, which hosts Mayberry Days, a festival that celebrates the show through tours, family events, musical performances and appearances by special guests. Writer-producer-director Chris Hudson uses the town and the festival as a jumping-off point for his documentary.
- Monday, August 8 - “The Wonderful: Stories from the Space Station”: This 2021 documentary features personal testimonies from the men and women who have been part of the International Space Station—a remarkable achievement of technology, worldwide collaboration, scientific endeavor and human bravery.
- Friday, August 12 - “My Left Foot”: In this 1989 drama, no one expects much from Christy Brown (Daniel Day-Lewis), a boy with cerebral palsy born into a working-class Irish family. Though Christy is a quadriplegic and essentially paralyzed, a miraculous event occurs when, at the age of 5, he demonstrates control of his left foot by using chalk to scrawl a word on the floor. With the help of his steely mother and no shortage of grit and determination Christy overcomes his infirmity to become a painter, poet and author.
- Saturday, August 13 - “After Yang”: In this 2021 sci-fi/drama, when his young daughter’s beloved companion, an android named Yang (Justin H. Min), malfunctions, Jake (Colin Farrell) searches for a way to repair it. In the process, Jake discovers the life that has been passing in front of him as he reconnects with his wife and daughter.
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.