Bag It, Trash It, Forget It
Thanks to California’s new organics recycling law, trash duty has reached a new level of effort.
However, convenient compostable bags can simplify the organics recycling process, help keep the appropriate bins cleaner and reduce odors emanating from the bins.
A variety of compostable bags can be found at Amazon.com, HomeDepot.com, Walmart.com and similar websites. Compostable bags degrade to humus (the organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms), CO2 and water within 180 days when placed in a standard compost pile.
Simply dispose of your organic waste in a compostable bag and place the bag in your organics recycling bin within three days (an especially important step when disposing of high acidic/alkaline organic waste).
Organics Recycling Best Practices
- Please do not move organic waste recycling carts from their intended locations. Carts will not be serviced in areas where they are not assigned. If you find a cart that has been moved, please email LagunaWoods-Recycles@CRRMail.com.
- Please do not place plastic bags in organics recycling carts. Compostable bags, paper bags and newspaper are acceptable—compostable bags are preferable.
- Please close the lid to the organics carts completely after use to prevent rodent access.
- Consider storing your organics in the freezer and disposing on Thursday, right before the Friday pickup, to minimize odors.
- Please do not place prunings in organics recycling carts. Green waste is accepted in the organics carts. However, to ensure everyone can participate in the program and use the carts for accepted waste, do not fill the organics carts with garden/lawn prunings. Instead, please call Resident Services at 949-597-4600 to schedule a Friday clippings pickup.
- For assistance locating your nearest organics cart, please visit bit.ly/3NoVmrB to access an interactive map or a printable map.
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.