COVID-19 Booster Options Grow
As of Thursday, October 21, both the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) expanded the use of a booster dose for COVID-19 vaccines in eligible populations. The FDA and CDC outlined how the agencies have amended emergency-use authorizations for COVID-19 vaccines to allow for the use of a single booster dose as follows:
- The use of a single booster dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine that may be administered at least six months after completion of the primary series to individuals:
- The use of a single booster dose of the Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 vaccine may be administered at least two months after completion of the single-dose primary regimen to individuals 18 years of age and older.
- The use of each of the available COVID-19 vaccines as a “mix and match” booster dose in eligible individuals following completion of primary vaccination with a different available COVID-19 vaccine.
- 65 years and older
- Age 18+ who live in long-term care settings
- Age 18+ who have underlying medical conditions
- Age 18+ who work or live in high-risk settings
View the latest information from the CDC here. View the FDA’s full statement here.
Where to Get Your Booster
At this time, VMS is not planning to provide third vaccination shots for COVID-19. At the onset of the vaccination project in early January, the vaccine was scarce and difficult to obtain. Today, 10 months later, the vaccine is readily available at local pharmacies and medical offices. Residents are encouraged to consult with their healthcare providers to determine if a third shot is advisable and the best venue through which to receive it.
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.