Protect Your Bike
Laguna Woods Village Security is providing a voluntary bicycle registration program for community residents to raise bicycle theft awareness and reduce the number of unrecovered bicycles throughout the Village.
In the event your bicycle is stolen, the Security Department can quickly locate your bike’s identifying information and provide it to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department, which increases the chance of recovering your bicycle. Any information provided is confidential and is not shared outside of Laguna Woods Village or the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.
Bicycle registration also aids in identifying residents in the event of a collision. Many bicyclists do not carry identification when out for a ride.
How to Register
Take two photos of your bicycle: one full-frame photo and one photo of the serial number, which may be located in one of the areas:
- Underside of crank
- Rear stays
- Top of crank
- Seat downtube next to crank
If you need assistance with your photos, ask a neighbor or friend for help. If you are still unable to obtain photos of your bike, email a photo request to Security at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download the bicycle registration form (or click the download button below) and return it to Security (along with your bicycle photos) at email@example.com or Security Department, 24351 El Toro Road, Laguna Woods, CA 92637.
Bicycle Theft Prevention Tips
- Always lock your bike, even if you leave it for just a moment.
- Always lock your bike’s frame and wheels.
- Lock your bike even when it’s stored in a garage or on a porch or a patio.
- Remove all detachable items such as lights, bags and quick-release parts.
- Lock your bicycle to a bike rack or a firmly affixed (bolts covered in concrete) object such as a parking meter or sign pole.
- Purchase the most expensive lock you can afford. U-locks are strong; better quality locks come with theft warranties.
- Only buy a U-lock with a flat or disc key; cylindrical-keyed locks are easier for thieves to pick.
In the Event of Theft
Call the Orange County Sheriff’s Department nonemergency phone number to report a theft: 949-770-6011.
Call Laguna Woods Village Security to report a theft: 949-580-1400.
For more Village news, click on the tag “What’s Up in the Village” below.