1) Club Monthly Meeting: Tuesday, September 19 at 7 p.m. in Clubhouse 2 for our second candidate forum featuring the candidates for the 47th Congressional District.
A reminder that most of Laguna Woods is in the 40th, but this is still an important election and we will want to be informed about the candidates. We will be sending out a non-binding straw poll after this meeting to help guide LWDC's representatives on whom to vote for in Pre-Endorsement, which is an important part of the CA Democratic Party's endorsement process. Here are the biographies for the three candidates for the 47th Congressional District.
The meeting also features club business. Come early at 6:30 p.m. to socialize and meet the candidates. Bring a friend. There is no guest fee for this meeting.
2) Volunteer for the March Primary!
Our club has a very robust Get Out The Vote (GOTV) program before every election. This effort is successful only because of the many wonderful volunteers who do the work.
Our next election is the presidential primary on March 5th, 2024 with ballots being mailed starting February 5th. And while that seems far away, planning needs to start soon. So please start thinking about if and how you might be able to help.
HERE ARE SOME OPPORTUNITIES FOR VOLUNTEERING TO HELP:
Even if you have volunteered before, please confirm if and what you are interested in by emailing me at email@example.com.
3) Village TV—September
Club Meeting — If you missed the club's August meeting with Elahe Amani speaking about the women's movement in Iran, you still have four chances to watch it on Village TV.
The program airs Wednesdays in September at 2:00 p.m.
Black in Laguna Woods — The program airs Sundays in September at 3:30 p.m. Village residents Thomas and Lillian Chesley explain their upcoming fundraiser on October 28 for their non-profit A Touch of Love Works to help the homeless.
4) Neighbor to Neighbor Program Update
Neighbor to Neighbor volunteers have been busy going door to door, speaking with registered Democrats who are not yet members of the Laguna Woods Democratic Club. In June we distributed flyers for the Annual Picnic along with club membership forms. “The aim was not so much picnic attendance, but rather to get to know the residents better and coax them to join LWDC” says volunteer Joe Rego. Micki Nozaki, a new Village resident and LWDC member, said “The people I have encountered have been gracious and appreciative of the information. It is a satisfying way to volunteer.” This month we are inviting fellow Democrats to the Candidate Forum for two of the 2024 races: Congressional District 40 and California Senate District 37. We will remind them that voting for the primary election begins on February 5, 2024. We will all benefit from bringing more Democrats into the Political Action Committee that is LWDC. Contact Jeanne Lepowsky at (949) 636-9123, firstname.lastname@example.org.
5) Membership 2023 — Membership is open to all Laguna Woods Village and Orange County residents. Regular Members are registered Democrats; Affiliate Members need not be. Click here for the 2023 Membership Application, download, print and mail, or use the Act Blue website link.
6) Nifty Sixty Fundraiser — Gives us an opportunity to celebrate the Laguna Woods Democratic Club's sixtieth birthday. In 1964 the Club was created, a board of directors was elected, bylaws were written, and the Club was underway. We celebrate this milestone and also prepare for the next general election in 2024. This campaign, which will be in effect from January 2, 2023 through October 31, 2024, will provide funds for candidates and community causes during this time. Send your check to the LWDC, P.O. Box 2243, Laguna Hills, CA 92654-2243 or donate through ActBlue https://secure.actblue.com
7) Mentoring Program — Do you want to have an impact on the lives of your peers? Search no more. Our LWDC has something special for you: the LWDC Mentoring program. As you may know, to achieve the club’s mission it is necessary to complete a vast number of functions which require the leadership of many. These leaders comprise the club’s Board of Directors who, in turn, rely on the help of many volunteers. All the following programs are led by an individual: Program development for monthly meetings, Special events, the Get Out the Vote program, the Voter Registration/postcard writing program, the Membership section, the Activism program, the Fundraising section, the Hospitality team, Newsletter, the Care and Share program, and Board nominations. Each one of these requires a leader who is committed, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. Do you have what it takes? Are you willing to become one of our next leaders? Please call us and become part of the team. We will happily show and teach you “the ropes” and welcome you with open arms. Believe me, it is also a lot of fun. So don’t wait any longer. Send me an email to email@example.com and let me know where you see yourself as a leader within our Club. Can’t wait to hear from you. This new year is the perfect time to become a leader.
8) Contact Your Representatives - Link to Their Websites -- Click Here: https://www.lagunawoodsvillage...
2023 LWDC Brochure https://www.lagunawoodsvillage...
Volunteer Opportunities - Voter registration and membership are available for those interested in growing our Democratic Club.
The purpose of the Club is to stimulate greater interest in government affairs, to further the ideals and principles of the Democratic Party, to increase Democratic Party registration and turnout, and to elect Democratic candidates who will truly support the United States Constitution and work for the highest degree of economic and social justice and welfare for all people.
The information, opinions and all other content on Club webpages are solely the responsibility of the particular Club. Neither GRF nor the managing agent is responsible for the accuracy or content of information on Club webpages, and all responsibility therefore is hereby denied.
All statements, actions and failures to act by any Club or Club member shall be the sole responsibility of that Club and its members. GRF does not endorse, approve or authorize such conduct, and expressly disclaims all responsibility and liability therefore, without exception.
Unless otherwise stated, all meetings, events and amenities are for the use of Laguna Woods Village residents and their authorized guests only.